Saturday, August 13, 2005

Sticky Black Rice- Finally!

It has been a full year since I first spotted a sack of sticky black rice and snapped it up to take home and try in any number of curious looking recipe's that I'd been eyeing off. It's been sitting handsomely on the shelf in the pantry ever since.

It occurred to Ma that perhaps now was as good a time as ever to pop it open and give it a whirl. Perhaps she was in the mood for something black and sticky. Perhaps she was just sick of moving it around the pantry. Either way, the hint was dropped and cleverly caught, by me.

So after a night soaking in it's own rich purple stain, I snuck down stairs in slippers and dressing gown to put my bubbling brew on to cook. May I say, it was quite satisfying stirring away at the purple-black gloop. It cooked away until it resembled a grainy porridge than I stirred through some palm sugar and served it with coconut cream to a slightly confused dozy lot who had staggered out of bed with eggs in mind...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and??? Did they rebel? It's got to taste better than it looks/sounds?