Thursday, August 05, 2004

New Tunes: Jolie Holland- Escondida


I first heard this album in the wee hours of a Saturday morning as I found myself sipping on gin & tonic and struggling to keep my tired mind on a game of 500’s. Nothing could have suited more the still shadowy night, the husky masculinity of the group, the thoughtful reserved nature of the game. This album combines a wry and delicate melancholy with a sexy carefree ease.

When I listen to it, in my mind’s eye I rather fancy that I am soaking in the over brimming bubbles of a claw-footed bathtub, lounging in the candle light by an old gramophone. Of course, in my mind’s eye, I am also much taller with wonderful chocolate brown curls piled up on my head and I believe I am smoking a cigar and sipping from a glass of whiskey. In my mind's eye, mind you.

No comments: