Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Love Triangle

This morning as I flumped about in bed, rolling from one side to another and trying to snuff out my dull churning mind, I realised that the battle to get to sleep was not going to be an easy one. I’ve heard that in these frustratingly unending bouts of insomnia, it is often a good idea to get up, do something for a while and then have another crack at getting those Zs. So last night, I did just that and shuffled out to the TV where I found Ma doing just the same!

It was quite cosy really, sitting together at 1am with the white flicker of the TV the only illumination on our soft and saggy faces. Ma made us Chamomile tea (something I refused to subject myself to for the last 7 years and found only last night that I can quite enjoy!) and we switched over to the ABC for their late movie- always a black and white British number with plenty of tweed and good manners. And what do you know? It was “Mary of Scotland” starring Katherine Hepburn!



Now, it just so happens that my favourite Monarch in history is the great Queen Elizabeth I of England. I’m fascinated by her character, her success and all those slightly creepy paintings of her that make her seem a little supernatural.

My aforementioned favourite starlet, Cate Blanchett actually truly came to fame for her stunning portrayal of Queen Elizabeth, the archenemy and cousin to Mary Queen of Scots.

Example

Most recently, I saw her as another of my favourites, Katherine Hepburn, in “The Aviator” and now here is Katherine Hepburn playing Mary Queen of Scots to a strained and unfortunate looking Queen Elizabeth on my early morning movie!

Well I thought it was cool anyway…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cate was brilliant in Elizabeth. She's done a really wide range of movie roles, unlike a lot of the current crop of stars who only seem able to do the same role again and again.

Amylou said...

I also love Cate, and am pretty interested in QE I. I was watching a documentary about the Kings and Queens of England the other day and heard a somewhat shocking rumor about our Elizabeth. She might not have had all her, eh hem, female parts.

I thought she and Mary Queen of Scots were cousins.

Anonymous said...

I adore Cate Blanchett, an amazing actress as was Hepburn, another of my favourites.

Sarah said...

Oh yes Amylou! My blunder. They were first cousins and NEARLY half sisters in law. (I don't suppose that one is a real relationship...) Apologies.